Mike Smith Out, Bruce Bowen In

103 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sep 26, 2017 1:10pm
Rhy1244
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 16 sec ago
Joined: Oct 8, 2011

I'm really disappointed to hear about Mike. He had great chemistry with Ralph.  He also had good intuition about the state of clipper's games and made some pretty nice predictions.

He made lots of losing games more bearable because of his random banter.

 

Why Bowen?  He has no link to the organization or the players...

I can't help but think Clippers' marketing is trying to create a team resembling Chic Hearn and Stu Lantz.  

 

Both Mike and Ralph survived the Haddadi fiasco.

Maybe it's due to Mike's legal troubles? http://bhcourier.com/clippers-announcer-mike-smith-acquitted-of-grand-theft/

 

Sep 26, 2017 1:12pm
vicrattlehead
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 21 hours ago
Joined: Dec 9, 2011

nuraman00 wrote:

Olowokandi34 wrote:

Bruce Bowen cmon now.  Should have been don mclean

 

What WWE event in history would you compare this to?

Announcing wise.  Losing JR hurt and changed the dynamic with Jerry Lawler.  Jerry Lawler (puppies!), was awful after JR's departure and was eventually replaced.

Recently this year, Smackdown losing Mauro Ranallo hurt the programing.  His work with JBL was under the radar, arguably one of the greatest teams of all time.  However, Ranallo said he was bullied by JBL and quit.  JBL also left.  

However it was nice seeing Ranallo calling the Mcgregor vs Mayweather showdown.  He made the match sound more meaningful and exciting than it actually was.  

Sep 26, 2017 1:19pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

vicrattlehead wrote:

I remember Smith on the radio subconsciously calling a pussy foul.  I can't remember which player, but it was the other team.  It sounded something like "Blank with the pussy foul on Darius Miles."   I don't think anybody else noticed the slip up.

 

Thanks for bringing up that story again.  Funny, I seemed to be the only one who liked it last time too.

 

http://www.clippertalk.com/comment/64575#comment-64575

 

Mar 15, 2014 9:43pm vicrattlehead wrote:

I like when he said "pussy foul" on accident, in place of "ticky tack foul".  Nobody seemed to notice.

Also Ralph once said Mike Smith had a "pornographic memory"on accident, instead of "photographic memory".  Mike Smith Agreed.

Mike Smith called DeAndre Jordan, "DeAndre The Giant!"  Nobody caught on, but I liked the nick name.

Mike Smith and Ralph both got suspended for saying, "thee Iran?" when Iran player Haddadi entered the game.

 

 

Sep 26, 2017 5:55pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

Mistwell wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

Wait Tullabye, don't you like Trump?

What a cowardly retort. It's like the fart joke of the internet. No substance, but gets a laugh from middle schoolers!

what in god's name are you talking about?

Oct 2, 2017 12:48pm
clipsentuboca
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 26 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

suxers. For all the crap I'd give M. Smith it was done in a loving way for I respected his work. Seemed like he had quality player relationships was able to draw out some of their insights while also having some of his own unique perspectives as well. Did a pretty good job of tracking down obscure data too.  

Not of a fan of the move, Clips. But guess we gotta give Bowen a chance now. As long as he's not sporting that self-marketing bowtie every game (*eye roll*).

Oct 4, 2017 11:29am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

Was there any kind of acknowledgement on-air by Ralph about Mike Smith being gone?  Or maybe a tribute on-air of the greatest moments over the years between the two of them?

Oct 4, 2017 11:30am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

clipsentuboca wrote:

suxers. For all the crap I'd give M. Smith it was done in a loving way for I respected his work. Seemed like he had quality player relationships was able to draw out some of their insights while also having some of his own unique perspectives as well. Did a pretty good job of tracking down obscure data too.  

Not of a fan of the move, Clips. But guess we gotta give Bowen a chance now. As long as he's not sporting that self-marketing bowtie every game (*eye roll*).

 

I like hearing this when listening to sports broadcasters.  Agree.

Oct 6, 2017 5:22pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

Got a little bit of an icy vibe coming from Ralph on Mike's departure, don't think he ever loved him just my opinion. Mike also seemed pretty hurt by it and lamented it for a while afterwards. It didn't seem like other team's fans liked Mike much, probably bc he was too much of a fan, but I liked the familiarity and his banter with Ralph.

 

Bowen is probably fine, but he's too much of a Spur for me which probably shouldn't matter much in these instances but they do. Sadly I think this came from Ralph or he at least did not try to save Mike's job. He seems pretty excited to be broadcasting with Bruce.

Oct 6, 2017 6:42pm
tullabye
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 39 min ago
Joined: Nov 11, 2011

I don't know why he'd be excited. Bowen is pretty boring. I have to agree with Ralph having a hand in Smith's departure. I'm pretty sure he'd have to be consulted before the move and his comment about Smith being a "smart guy" was a bit to condescending for my liking. 

Oct 6, 2017 7:17pm
pro100
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 6 sec ago
Joined: Jan 17, 2012

Miss Mike Smith but Bowen is good. Outside of Clipperville a lot of fans sh*t on our broadcast team if you're unaware. Not to mention alot of local NBA broadcast teams aren't that highly regarded anyways. I'm more about what's happening on the court first and foremost. Something must have went south with Mike Smith for him not to be part of the announcing team anymore. Bowen is cool, you guys have unrealistic expectations. 

 

 

 

 

 

-plus I have to support a fellow Fresno nativecool

Oct 6, 2017 8:51pm
clipsentuboca
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 26 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

Hitnrun24 wrote:

Got a little bit of an icy vibe coming from Ralph on Mike's departure, don't think he ever loved him just my opinion.

it may have been the whole "ralphy boy" and "did you go to bed early?" thing that Mike spewed out at Ralph in an overly familiar, borderline adversarial tug that Lawler finally realized he could do without. Bowen seems okay actually with his Buena Vista Social Club reference that went way over Ralph 'Beaver' Lawler's head, but still think they dropped the ball releasing The Smithsonian. Crying bs on this one.

Okay with CP being gone. It's like a fresh new team.

Oct 6, 2017 9:05pm
Clipps
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 57 min ago
Joined: May 4, 2015

I like the idea of Bruce Bowen replacing Mike Smith, but It's weird listening to a different voice talking with Ralph, though. 

Oct 7, 2017 12:14am
Dyce
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011

I wish we replaced Mike with someone that actually followed the team before this summer.  I feel like the listening fans know more about the team than Bowen does.  That is not good.

Oct 7, 2017 10:38am
Clipfandam
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 52 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011

Dyce wrote:

I wish we replaced Mike with someone that actually followed the team before this summer.  I feel like the listening fans know more about the team than Bowen does.  That is not good.

Bowen will be just fine and he’ll know more about the team as the season progresses. I like Bowen’s knowledge and technical aspects of the game more then Smith’s sometimes silly banter. Change is hard for some fans, but I believe Bowen will be just fine and most everyone will soon put Mike Smith in the past.

Oct 7, 2017 11:02am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 5 sec ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011

Back in the day I thought it was pretty jarring to go from Walton to Smith and lot of other people probably did as well and Smith grew on people over time after they had time to adjust to his style.  My guess is the same will happen with Bowen if sticks around long enough.

Oct 7, 2017 2:38pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

clipsentuboca wrote:

Hitnrun24 wrote:

Got a little bit of an icy vibe coming from Ralph on Mike's departure, don't think he ever loved him just my opinion.

it may have been the whole "ralphy boy" and "did you go to bed early?" thing that Mike spewed out at Ralph in an overly familiar, borderline adversarial tug that Lawler finally realized he could do without. Bowen seems okay actually with his Buena Vista Social Club reference that went way over Ralph 'Beaver' Lawler's head, but still think they dropped the ball releasing The Smithsonian. Crying bs on this one.

Okay with CP being gone. It's like a fresh new team.

 

I don't remember hearing "Ralphy boy".

 

I thought the "did you go to bed early" was part of the jokes they did.  Mike would say that about Ralph.  Ralph would say "Settle Down Mike Smith" about Mike.

 

 

Oct 7, 2017 2:47pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

pro100 wrote:

Miss Mike Smith but Bowen is good. Outside of Clipperville a lot of fans sh*t on our broadcast team if you're unaware. Not to mention alot of local NBA broadcast teams aren't that highly regarded anyways. I'm more about what's happening on the court first and foremost. Something must have went south with Mike Smith for him not to be part of the announcing team anymore. Bowen is cool, you guys have unrealistic expectations. 

 

 

 

 

 

-plus I have to support a fellow Fresno nativecool

 

Mike Smith was rated high according to this chart.  He hit both the highly objective and NBA Knowledge quadrant. 

 

I think this chart was only for color commentators.

 

Oct 7, 2017 3:53pm
clipsentuboca
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 26 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

nuraman00 wrote:

I don't remember hearing "Ralphy boy".

Ralphy Boy was a staple, dude.

Oct 7, 2017 5:38pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

nuraman00 wrote:

pro100 wrote:

Miss Mike Smith but Bowen is good. Outside of Clipperville a lot of fans sh*t on our broadcast team if you're unaware. Not to mention alot of local NBA broadcast teams aren't that highly regarded anyways. I'm more about what's happening on the court first and foremost. Something must have went south with Mike Smith for him not to be part of the announcing team anymore. Bowen is cool, you guys have unrealistic expectations. 

 

 

 

 

 

-plus I have to support a fellow Fresno nativecool

 

Mike Smith was rated high according to this chart.  He hit both the highly objective and NBA Knowledge quadrant. 

 

I think this chart was only for color commentators.

 

 

What's this chart from? Sean Elliott should score higher on homerism

Oct 7, 2017 6:08pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

Hitnrun24 wrote:

 

What's this chart from? Sean Elliott should score higher on homerism

 

Agree on Sean Elliot.  He should be on the homerism axis where Tommy Heinsohn is.

 

It's a chart someone posted during the ESPN days, so it's old.  But still pretty cool.

 

I tried finding the original source earlier this year, but couldn't.  Just finding the direct URL to the image was hard enough.  I then saved it on IMG UR so it would be easier to find.

 

Oct 8, 2017 7:46am
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013

mannycoon wrote:

Back in the day I thought it was pretty jarring to go from Walton to Smith and lot of other people probably did as well and Smith grew on people over time after they had time to adjust to his style.  My guess is the same will happen with Bowen if sticks around long enough.

I never got over Walton being replaced by Smith. I never liked Smith. His blind homerism was the reason why our broadcasts had such a bad reputation outside of our fanbase.

Oct 9, 2017 9:18am
JGlanton
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 28 min ago
Joined: Oct 9, 2011

"Blind homerism"???

I never saw Mike Smith this way.  Ralph was much more of a homer and team apologist, and that's okay.  Mike would criticize Clippers players in a classy way by explaining how they can improve.

Every other NBA  TV team that I have listened to sounded bland next to Ralph and Mike.  Some could bore me to sleep.  So far, Bruce Bowen fits right in with that group. I don't understand this decision from the Clippers standpoint of trying to increase television viewership through excellence.   They took a step backwards. 

Oct 9, 2017 9:18am
JGlanton
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 28 min ago
Joined: Oct 9, 2011

"Blind homerism"???

I never saw Mike Smith this way.  Ralph was much more of a homer and team apologist, and that's okay.  Mike would criticize Clippers players in a classy way by explaining how they can improve.

Every other NBA  TV team that I have listened to sounded bland next to Ralph and Mike.  Some could bore me to sleep.  So far, Bruce Bowen fits right in with that group. I don't understand this decision from the Clippers standpoint of trying to increase television viewership through excellence.   They took a step backwards. 

Oct 9, 2017 9:28am
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

I have been kind of surprised by Ralph's lack of empathy for Mike Smith being let go.

Oct 9, 2017 9:52am
angelfan1958
Offline
Last seen: 10 min 46 sec ago
Joined: Nov 29, 2011

I also agree that this has Ralph's fingerprints all over it.  I once heard him say they don't hang out at all. He said only that they worked well together.  They wouldn't have made the change without Ralph's blessing

 

 

Oct 9, 2017 10:37am
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 40 sec ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

I mean, Ralph has got to be close to retirement at this point, right? I see him posting about vacations (mostly in Bend, Oregon I think) and longing to be there more often....

Oct 9, 2017 11:40am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

angelfan1958 wrote:

I also agree that this has Ralph's fingerprints all over it.  I once heard him say they don't hang out at all. He said only that they worked well together.  They wouldn't have made the change without Ralph's blessing

 

 

 

I don't see Ralph hanging out with Bruce outside of work either.

 

Not even sure why it matters so much, as long as the on-air chemistry was good.

Oct 9, 2017 12:25pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

Mistwell wrote:

I mean, Ralph has got to be close to retirement at this point, right? I see him posting about vacations (mostly in Bend, Oregon I think) and longing to be there more often....

He does that every single off-season for years now.............and I think he actually sold his place up there. Ralph is 79. Vin Scully retired when he was 88, but he had stopped doing road games, years before that. I think Ralph probably has another good 4-5 years left in him before he retires, maybe more.

Oct 9, 2017 12:41pm
Rhy1244
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 16 sec ago
Joined: Oct 8, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

I have been kind of surprised by Ralph's lack of empathy for Mike Smith being let go.

Ralph has always followed the company line.  He didn't say anything when Sterling refused to pay for that guys cancer payments.

Oct 9, 2017 12:56pm
angelfan1958
Offline
Last seen: 10 min 46 sec ago
Joined: Nov 29, 2011
I would think that even if u didn't hang out with a co worker you wouldn't make a point of mentioning it if there wasn't an underlying issue