2018 NBA Playoffs

330 posts / 0 new
Last post
Apr 16, 2018 11:03am
VFHS
Clippers1121 wrote:

CP3 panicked last night and threw the ball away with 8 seconds left in the game.  Have not seen that from him since the infamous game 5 meltdown against OKC at the end of the game.  Usually nobody is more clutch in those situations than  CP3. 

I guess you didn't watch Game 6 against the Jazz last year, then? We were up double digits with 1:29 to go and CP0 choked the lead down to 3 with some awful turnovers. Then Joe Johnson somehow missed a clutch three, and we barely clung on to win. CP0 also had a 6-turnover game in the 2015 Spurs series. CP0 doesn't belong in the same sentence as the word "clutch."
Apr 16, 2018 12:41pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:

Weird how changing uniforms again still hasn't made CP0 any less of a choke artist in the playoffs. The Rockets barely won that game in spite of him.

How did Blake do in his playoff game tonight? In his living room, playing NBA 2K on his xbox one.

Apr 16, 2018 12:46pm
VFHS
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Weird how changing uniforms again still hasn't made CP0 any less of a choke artist in the playoffs. The Rockets barely won that game in spite of him.

How did Blake do in his playoff game tonight? In his living room, playing NBA 2K on his xbox one.

Sorry, but you can't blame Blake for this one. Your boy CP0 shit the bed in the playoffs AGAIN.
Apr 16, 2018 1:35pm
Mistwell

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Sorry, but you can't blame Blake for this one. Your boy CP0 shit the bed in the playoffs AGAIN.

I am pretty sure Pistons fans are in fact a big miffed at Blake over them not making the playoffs. 

Apr 16, 2018 1:42pm
Olowokandi34

Blake is where blake wants to be right now.  On Vacation

Apr 16, 2018 1:56pm
VFHS
Mistwell wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

I am pretty sure Pistons fans are in fact a big miffed at Blake over them not making the playoffs. 

Doesn't change the fact that bringing up Blake is just a pitiful attempt to deflect from how CP0 played last night.
Apr 16, 2018 3:38pm
trapp76

Olowokandi34 wrote:

Blake is where blake wants to be right now.  On Vacation

LOL exactly. 

Apr 16, 2018 3:40pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
Mistwell wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Doesn't change the fact that bringing up Blake is just a pitiful attempt to deflect from how CP0 played last night.

Blake has still never made the playoffs without CP to carry him there...............and neither has DJ for that matter.

Apr 16, 2018 3:40pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
Mistwell wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

The point is, if your boy can't even make the playoffs in the leastern conference, then STFU about players who are actually playing in playoff games. You have no ground to stand on and no right to talk shit about any players who aren't at home sitting on their couch when the playoffs start.

Apr 16, 2018 3:52pm
VFHS
Put Blake on the Rockets instead of CP0 and they still easily make the playoffs. Not impressed by CP0 riding the coattails of a team that was already good before he got there. Regardless, CP0 played like absolute trash last night and you keep trying to deflect from that.
Apr 16, 2018 3:57pm
Mistwell

VFHS wrote:
Put Blake on the Rockets instead of CP0 and they still easily make the playoffs.

That's true.

Heck, CP3 was out for a chunk of the season and Rockets were doing just fine without him. They'd have done just fine with Blake sitting on the bench instead of CP3 sitting on the bench :)

Apr 16, 2018 7:54pm
tullabye
Wade still a warrior. Totally awesome tonight. So much for all of the experts calling him washed up.
Apr 16, 2018 7:59pm
VFHS

A 36-year-old Dwyane Wade is still a more reliable playoff performer than CP0.

Apr 16, 2018 8:49pm
nuraman00

tullabye wrote:
Wade still a warrior. Totally awesome tonight. So much for all of the experts calling him washed up.

I watched the game.  It was a great performance.

But I think it's a bad sign that Miami needed a vintage performance from Wade, to win the game.  Can't expect that too many more times.

Maybe 2 more times this series, but even then, Miami wouldn't be guaranteed to win those games.

Olynyk played well.

Apr 17, 2018 8:55am
Clippers1121

And of course once the Heat figured out they should actually guard Redick instead of letting him hoist uncontested three pointers they totally shut him down and he regressed to the Redick we had last year on the Clippers.  Sixers need to get Embiid back or they could lose this series to the Heat.  Their strategy last night was to let Simmons beat them with his scoring instead of letting him beat them with his assists.  Great adjustment by Spoelstra.  Simmons still a tremendous player and can get to the rim at will but taking away the rest of the Sixer offense really disrupted what they normally do.  Simmons learns how to shoot and he will be better than Lebron.  He seems a lot quicker than Lonzo Ball and gets to the rim a lot faster while having the same court vision and awareness.  Both are lousy shooters and need to work on that aspect of their games.

Apr 17, 2018 10:24am
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
Put Blake on the Rockets instead of CP0 and they still easily make the playoffs. Not impressed by CP0 riding the coattails of a team that was already good before he got there. Regardless, CP0 played like absolute trash last night and you keep trying to deflect from that.

Put Blake on the 2018 Clippers and they miss the playoffs.

Put Blake on the 2018 Pistons and they miss the playoffs.

Put CP on the 2018 Clippers and they make the playoffs.

Put CP on the 2018 Pistons and they make the playoffs.

Apr 17, 2018 10:24am
trapp76

VFHS wrote:

A 36-year-old Dwyane Wade is still a more reliable playoff performer than CP0.

Anybody who actually plays in a playoff game is still a more reliable playoff performer than Blake.

Apr 17, 2018 10:39am
VFHS
Yawn. Still deflecting.
Apr 17, 2018 10:43am
Mistwell

trapp76 wrote:

Maybe? Not such an easy question to answer. 

Apr 17, 2018 10:59am
SamIAm19

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Put Blake on the 2018 Pistons and they miss the playoffs.

Put CP on the 2018 Clippers and they make the playoffs.

Put CP on the 2018 Pistons and they make the playoffs.

Take Austin off the 2018 Clippers and they make the playoffs

Apr 17, 2018 11:04am
nuraman00

Play Marjanovic and they make the playoffs.

Apr 17, 2018 11:30am
Hitnrun24

nuraman00 wrote:

Play Marjanovic and they make the playoffs.

Really hope he finds a coach that will play him consistently. He doesn't need to get 30 min a game, but a solid 18 every night seems like something he can handle. If DJ opts out I'd be completely fine with him as our starter even if it's a low minute starter. Watching the Philly game last night made it even more evident that you can get by with converted SF/PF types to play Center. Whiteside can be played out of a series if the other teams want to.

Ilyasova was once a 3 and now he's a pretty effective 5. His weakness as a perimeter player was lack of athleticism, but as a 5 he moves just fine. There will be minutes for the traditional Center, but you can get by just fine with these tall wings who can rebound a little bit. You just surround them with good defense on the perimeter and you'll be fine.

Apr 17, 2018 12:15pm
trapp76

Mistwell wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

Maybe? Not such an easy question to answer. 

Pretty easy to me.

Heck just look at wins produced this season.................CP 12.1, Blake 1.5, that is a full 11 game difference. Huge huge gap. Difference between 2 seed and 8 seed in the West.

Blake is a losing player. Anybody who doesn't see that after this season and his performance on the Clippers/Pistons without CP is completely myopic. He was clearly the weak link in our big 3 all these years. It is totally obvious now.

Apr 17, 2018 12:32pm
VFHS

Wins Produced is a garbage stat:

http://www.apbr.org/metrics/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8196

And just LOL at pretending that Blake was more of a "weak link" than DJ, who couldn't make free throws, score without being spoonfed on lobs and putbacks, or guard bigs who could shoot. I don't see DJ in the playoffs this year, but somehow he always manages to escape the type of criticism you give Blake.

Apr 17, 2018 12:36pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:

Wins Produced is a garbage stat:

http://www.apbr.org/metrics/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8196

And just LOL at pretending that Blake was more of a "weak link" than DJ, who couldn't make free throws, score without being spoonfed on lobs and putbacks, or guard bigs who could shoot. I don't see DJ in the playoffs this year, but somehow he always manages to escape the type of criticism you give Blake.

DJ is one of the most durable players in the entire league, of course he's much more valuable than Blake just based on that alone.

BTW, use any advanced metric you want. Pick one. CP is much better than Blake in literally EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Apr 17, 2018 12:44pm
trapp76

Forget CP and DJ, even Tobias Harris is a better player than Blake.

Clippers record w/ Blake this season: 25-24

Clippers record w/ Harris this season: 17-15

Blake salary 30 mill

Harris salary 16 mill

Apr 17, 2018 12:45pm
VFHS
Durability doesn't make up for DJ's total reliance on athleticism over fundamentals. He never developed an offensive game, and his defensive skill set is totally wrong for this era. Him staying on the court more just means the real contenders have more opportunities to exploit his glaring weaknesses. There's a reason why peak Blake was an MVP candidate while DJ will never be anywhere near that conversation.
Apr 17, 2018 12:55pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
Durability doesn't make up for DJ's total reliance on athleticism over fundamentals.

Yeah it does.It's that big of a deal.

Apr 17, 2018 12:59pm
VFHS
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Durability doesn't make up for DJ's total reliance on athleticism over fundamentals.

Except when it's a player you like, such as CP0 or Kawhi. Then it isn't important at all.
Apr 17, 2018 1:27pm
Clipps

Mistwell wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

I remember Pistons fans and the media were screaming playoffs immediately after the playoffs. Now they're just fucked for the next 4 seasons. 

Apr 17, 2018 2:11pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Except when it's a player you like, such as CP0 or Kawhi. Then it isn't important at all.

CP managed to produce 12 wins in same amount of games Blake produced 1.

Blake produced only 1 more win than Kawhi when Kawhi missed entire season.

CP and Kawhi never missed any games for punching someone in the face.

Apr 17, 2018 2:35pm
VFHS
Still clinging to garbage stats, I see - and moving the goalposts, too. Either durability matters above everything else or it doesn't. You can't flip-flop from one position to the other depending on which one suits your argument.
Apr 17, 2018 4:24pm
V-Ice
Let’s go Pelicans.
Apr 17, 2018 7:44pm
Mistwell

I agree WP is a pretty garbage stat. 

Apr 17, 2018 7:49pm
nuraman00

Mistwell wrote:

Why?  What else do you think are garbage stats?

Apr 17, 2018 7:49pm
nuraman00

Pelicans off to a 9-2 start.

They're not doing anything special.

Portland having problems dribbling.

McCollum missing a floater to start the game also is not good.

Apr 17, 2018 8:04pm
nuraman00

Bledsoe has been uninspiring.

Funny that Wade can have a better game than Bledsoe (not in the same series, but still).

Apr 17, 2018 9:02pm
V-Ice

Pelicans up in the 3rd quarter. The Brow hasn't taken over yet, however Holiday has though.

Apr 17, 2018 10:00pm
tullabye
Holiday shutting down his critics. UCLA!!!
Apr 17, 2018 10:05pm
WindsorUK

Losing Cousins was the BEST thing for the Pelicans. 

EVERY GM in the league knows this - DeMarcus does NOT help you win. Still, I'm sure someone will throw a lot of money his way this summer.

Just not New Orleans. Cousins leaving will give them some flexability to bring in a player or 2 who can fit with Davis and Holiday. 

Pelicans are on the rise. Going home to close out Rip City.

Apr 18, 2018 9:08am
Clippers1121

No rim protection in the modern game that is played today.  Greek freak, Simmons, Jrue Holiday.  All kinds of guys just charging their way to the rim and slamming it home.  And no big centers around to knock them on their asses and discourage them from taking it to the hole.  The game has really evolved.  And of course the three point shooting too.  Now it is launch from the three or get in the lane and dunk it.  Not too many players do the midrange game anymore which used to be the staple of the league.

Rondo has played very well for the Pelicans this postseason.  He is the big difference maker if you already counted on Holiday and Davis to play big.  He put them over the top.  Blazers are in deep crap right now with the series going back to New Orleans.  Bucks are down two also but at least they are going home.  Bledsoe has been outplayed by Rozier.  That can't happen again if the Bucks want to win the series.

Apr 18, 2018 9:42am
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
Still clinging to garbage stats.

LOL, garbage stats? How bout you find ANY advanced metric that tells me Blake is a better player than CP.

Let me save you time.......you can't.

Do you know why? Because he isn't.

Apr 18, 2018 10:23am
VFHS

How bout you stop deflecting and talk about CP0's horrendous Game 1 performance instead of obsessing over Blake.

Apr 18, 2018 10:35am
trapp76

VFHS wrote:

..... instead of obsessing over Blake.

............says the guy with the Blake avatar.

Apr 18, 2018 10:42am
VFHS
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

You're the one derailing the thread to whine about Blake some more.
Apr 18, 2018 11:18am
Mistwell

nuraman00 wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

Why?  What else do you think are garbage stats?

Because it's a simplistic stat that dresses itself up as an advanced stat. And I've spoken about my dislike for WP for years by the way. It's the primary "advanced" stat that I reject. 

Apr 18, 2018 11:40am
nuraman00

I could be wrong, but I said early on (perhaps before the series started) that I expected a lot of road wins in the Pelicans-Trail Blazers series.

New Orleans has the 2nd worst home record in the playoffs.

This series reminded me of Dallas vs. San Antonio 2003, where the road team won 5 out of 6 games.

The road team also won 3 out of 6 in Houston vs. Portland 2014.

Utah vs. Houston 2008 had road wins in the first 3 games.

Maybe I'm wrong, and this is like San Antoio vs. Phoenix 2005, or Dallas vs. San Antonio 2009, in which the road team won in 5 games

Apr 18, 2018 11:41am
nuraman00

tullabye wrote:
Holiday shutting down his critics. UCLA!!!

Why don't you get excited about Luc Richard Mbah A Moute the same way you do Holiday?  I've seen less posts about him over the years, than I do about Holiday.

Apr 18, 2018 1:42pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Sorry I derailed your whining about CP with my whining about Blake.

Apr 18, 2018 1:49pm
htownfan

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Sorry I derailed your whining about CP with my whining about Blake.

You guys crack me up!!!!  :)