2018 NBA Finals Thread.

165 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jun 4, 2018 4:35pm
gilp5
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 4 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

I could see him getting insulted with Houston because they promised him a super max contract last year, causing CP to bolt to Cleveland and take a pay cut to be with Lebron that way.

Jun 4, 2018 4:57pm
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 26 sec ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.
Jun 4, 2018 5:45pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

Hitnrun24 wrote:

Cavs can not play Clarkson, he is worse than some G leaguers and doesn't know it. I'd give Hood a chance

 

I've been also saying that Hood and Calderon should be given a chance.  Forget about what happened in Toronto, for Hood.

Jun 4, 2018 5:48pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

I'm trying to post a tweet, but I keep getting a server error.

Jun 4, 2018 5:49pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

This is annoying.

Jun 4, 2018 5:55pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011
I'm able to post the tweet, and quote it, from another thread:
nuraman00 wrote:
I keep getting a server error when I post this tweet.
Also, I'm not supposed to be able to edit posts, because I created the OP, but THIS POST, I can edit. LOL! I can't edit any other post in this thread.
Jun 5, 2018 10:47am
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

nuraman00 wrote:
I'm able to post the tweet, and quote it, from another thread:
nuraman00 wrote:
I keep getting a server error when I post this tweet.
Also, I'm not supposed to be able to edit posts, because I created the OP, but THIS POST, I can edit. LOL! I can't edit any other post in this thread.

That's interesting. So it likely means there is some code in the stuff you quoted that tells the system you can edit it. If you quoted something with that code every time you posted, you could edit in any thread. But, how to find that code to quote?

I guess you can try looking at the post in edit and clicking to text editor and looking at the code to see if there is anything different from your first post?

Edit: OK I looked at one of your earlier posts in this thread and compared it to this one, using the text editor, and I do see a minor but possibly meaningful difference. There are some tags in each post of course. When something is a quote, the text starts with the word quote between brackets, and the quote ends with the word quote between brackets but it starts with a slash symbol like this: / Also, to designate a new paragraph, the code inserts a small letter p between a less-than and greater-than sign, and ends that paragraph with the same symbol but with another slash mark before the p. In the posts you seem unable to edit, they seem to end with a line that goes less-than symbol, p, greater-than symbol, then a slash quote in brackets to designate the end of a quote, and then the slash p symbol between the lesser and greater symbols. That's not correct format. The final end quote line is not in itself a paragraph, as it's supposed to come at the end of the actual paragraph and not be shunted to it's own line as if it's a paragraph itself. I suspect, when writing the first post to a thread, you do it using the text editor and removed the "p" symbols from that final bottom of the post, it might work. I will give it a try in a new thread to test the theory out. Hope that made sense. Hard to do this without writing the stuff out, but if you write it out the code will interpret it as actual code and mess everything up.
Jun 5, 2018 12:08pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

Jun 5, 2018 12:13pm
Hitnrun24
Online
Last seen: 4 min 50 sec ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

 

Right, I don't get why people only think of contracts in terms of value compared to the market. Overpaying a very good player when you're a contender can be the smart move a lot of times.

Jun 5, 2018 1:01pm
gilp5
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 4 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5, 2011

Hitnrun24 wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

 

Right, I don't get why people only think of contracts in terms of value compared to the market. Overpaying a very good player when you're a contender can be the smart move a lot of times.

It would not be smart for them. It would cripple them long term. And I think there's a low chance they give him a full 5 year supermax, although it's possible they cave. If he takes 2 or 3 years, that's a decent deal for them.

Jun 5, 2018 1:10pm
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

gilp5 wrote:

Hitnrun24 wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

 

Right, I don't get why people only think of contracts in terms of value compared to the market. Overpaying a very good player when you're a contender can be the smart move a lot of times.

It would not be smart for them. It would cripple them long term. And I think there's a low chance they give him a full 5 year supermax, although it's possible they cave. If he takes 2 or 3 years, that's a decent deal for them.

 If they genuinely think it means they have a much much better shot of winning a championship 1 in 5 years rather than 0 in 5 years, isn't it worth it to cripple the team for 3 years after that which would otherwise be 3 years they still wouldn't win a championship?

Jun 5, 2018 1:33pm
ClipperSisyphus
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 sec ago
Joined: Nov 1, 2011

Houston should remember that CP was hurt in 3 of the last 4 playoffs. He will never win a ring. I would offer the same contract that Miami offered DWade before he bolted to Chicago. What team would offer more money?

Jun 5, 2018 2:37pm
gilp5
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 4 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5, 2011

Mistwell wrote:

gilp5 wrote:

Hitnrun24 wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

 

Right, I don't get why people only think of contracts in terms of value compared to the market. Overpaying a very good player when you're a contender can be the smart move a lot of times.

It would not be smart for them. It would cripple them long term. And I think there's a low chance they give him a full 5 year supermax, although it's possible they cave. If he takes 2 or 3 years, that's a decent deal for them.

 If they genuinely think it means they have a much much better shot of winning a championship 1 in 5 years rather than 0 in 5 years, isn't it worth it to cripple the team for 3 years after that which would otherwise be 3 years they still wouldn't win a championship?

No it's not. "Much better shot" is not the same as likely winning a championship. If Golden State is in the same position with Curry and it is the difference between them continuing to win or not, then yes give him the super max. For Houston, they are still unlikely to win with CP3 at a max level (meaning they can't sign another superstar). They are still not as good as GSW, even if CP3 remains healthy which is a risk as well. So, it would not be a good move for them. I would like to see them do it though - it would be good for the Clippers.

Jun 5, 2018 3:29pm
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 26 sec ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

They're in salary cap hell with a team that isn't as good as the Warriors. Sounds pretty familiar to me. I don't think there's any situation that justifies giving a supermax to a small point guard in his 30s who cannot be counted on to stay healthy for the most important games of the season. Especially when they've already screwed themselves by giving a ridiculous contract to that loser Harden after he quit on them in Game 6 last year.
Jun 5, 2018 3:28pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

ClipperSisyphus wrote:

He will never win a ring. 

"He will never make it to the WCF"

Jun 5, 2018 3:35pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

They're in salary cap hell with a team that isn't as good as the Warriors.

I'd say pushing the Warriors to game 7 in the WCF and having a lead on them in the second half of game 7 with your 2nd best player on the shelf is pretty close to being "as good" as them (not to mention finishing with a better record than them in the regular season). I'd take another shot. Who gives a shit what your team looks like in 5 years. You have a shot to get a title right now with your team exactly as is, go for it and worry about the 2023 season later on. Rings live forever.

Jun 5, 2018 3:34pm
V-Ice
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011
^true. Just find another regular rotation player to help out. Fatigue cause the Rockets to lose to the Warriors.
Jun 5, 2018 3:40pm
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 26 sec ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

They're in salary cap hell with a team that isn't as good as the Warriors.

I'd say pushing the Warriors to game 7 in the WCF and having a lead on them in the second half of game 7 with your 2nd best player on the shelf is pretty close to being "as good" as them (not to mention finishing with a better record than them in the regular season). I'd take another shot. Who gives a shit what your team looks like in 5 years. You have a shot to get a title right now with your team exactly as is, go for it and worry about the 2023 season later on. Rings live forever.

The Warriors were still the better team. It took multiple humiliating chokejobs by Durant for it to even go 7. If KD had just played within the offense and passed the ball more like he did last year, the Warriors would have wrapped that series up quickly.
Jun 5, 2018 3:55pm
gilp5
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 4 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

They're in salary cap hell with a team that isn't as good as the Warriors.

I'd say pushing the Warriors to game 7 in the WCF and having a lead on them in the second half of game 7 with your 2nd best player on the shelf is pretty close to being "as good" as them (not to mention finishing with a better record than them in the regular season). I'd take another shot. Who gives a shit what your team looks like in 5 years. You have a shot to get a title right now with your team exactly as is, go for it and worry about the 2023 season later on. Rings live forever.

This series should have been over earlier. The warriors are clearly still the better team and CP's injury risk is very high. But I would love for them to be tied up for the next 5 years. If they give CP a super max can they even re-sign Capella if someone offers him the max?

Jun 5, 2018 4:03pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

I have a theory that if a team plays a 7 game series one year, and they meet again within the next 2 years, the series will be 5 games or less, either way.

 

Just because it's a long series one year, it doesn't mean it will be next time.

 

When it is another long series, that's when it becomes a good rivalry.  Like Dallas vs. San Antonio, etc.

 

 

I'm just thinking about all of the teams that have met in a 7 game series, and met again within a few years.  The next series is usually not as good, either way. 

 

Just a theory.

Jun 5, 2018 5:43pm
ClipperSisyphus
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 sec ago
Joined: Nov 1, 2011

Watching all of the post-game commentary on the Finals is painful. LeBron clearly has no help to even make this a competitive series. Cleveland should just let the Warriors sweep them so we can start thinking about the draft and free agency.

Also, I find annoying the constant LeBron vs. Jordan debate. Let LeBron finish his career then compare him to Jordan.

Jun 5, 2018 5:48pm
Hitnrun24
Online
Last seen: 4 min 50 sec ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

There's a fallacy that the best team always wins a 7 game series. Even if the Warriors are better than the Rockets, they made it close enough to where they could beat them and probably should have beat them. Golden State didn't have a great series and lost a key player. If you only want to offer contracts to players that will make you better than Golden State you are more likely to end up at the bottom then the top.

Jun 6, 2018 8:34am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

I still think the Jazz would have beaten the Rockets if they had a healthy Rubio, Exum, and Mitchell the whole series.  And they probably will beat them next playoffs if the Rockets sign CP3 to a maximum contract.  CP3 had some good games and helped the Rockets win the three games that they won against the Warriors.  But he isn't getting any younger and is more injury prone than ever.  A fair deal would be two years for 50 million as another poster suggested.  Super max for him would be crazy stupid at this point in his career and with his injury history.  Like Wade he is nearing the end of a great career and it does not make much sense to think he legs are going to hold up for another five years.

Cavs are 4.5 point underdogs tonight and are a much better team at home than on the road.  Role players come through and they have a chance to win this game tonight.  But Perkins trying to injure Curry may have lit a fire under the Warriors so they may be out there looking for some payback tonight.  Iggy may play but is still questionable.  Hope the game is either a Cavs win or at least close.

Jun 6, 2018 9:11am
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

gilp5 wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

They're in salary cap hell with a team that isn't as good as the Warriors.

I'd say pushing the Warriors to game 7 in the WCF and having a lead on them in the second half of game 7 with your 2nd best player on the shelf is pretty close to being "as good" as them (not to mention finishing with a better record than them in the regular season). I'd take another shot. Who gives a shit what your team looks like in 5 years. You have a shot to get a title right now with your team exactly as is, go for it and worry about the 2023 season later on. Rings live forever.

The warriors are clearly still the better team

The fact that we are even debating it means that clearly isn't the case.

Jun 6, 2018 9:16am
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

Yeah there is no "clearly" here. Game 7, and Rockets had their second best player out with injury...no way there is any "clearly" anything on that question. 

Jun 6, 2018 9:30am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

CP3 had been injured several times this season so him getting injured was part of who that Rockets team was.  And two of the Rockets wins had Iguodala injured and two of those wins were really close so with him the series could have ended in five games.  These "what if" narratives are ridiculous.  Warriors won.  Rockets lost.  Warriors are the better team.  No excuses.  Just like the Jazz whipped us last year and were the better team.  No excuses just because Blake got injured in game three.

Jun 6, 2018 9:43am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011
Didn't you just make a bunch of excuses for the Jazz on your post before that one?
Jun 6, 2018 10:01am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011
Since the Warriors added Durant, they are 2-3 in playoffs against the Rockets with Paul, they 28-3 in the playoffs against teams without Paul. The Warriors might still be better, but so far the Rockets are only team that has been competetive.
Jun 6, 2018 10:16am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

OK.  I concede the Rockets were better than the Jazz.  Can't have it both ways.  But I think the Rockets may have spent their maximum effort in beating the Warriors this season and that if they come back with the same team they will get upset in a preliminary round before they even meet the Warriors again.  But who knows.  Maybe if Ariza, Gordon, and Harden shoot better in game seven the Rockets would be getting fitted for a ring right now.  So they were pretty good even without Paul.  Cavs and Pelicans have been competitive with Warriors too.  Warriors just not as dominant as last year.  They are slipping.  Their bench isn't nearly as good.

Jun 6, 2018 10:40am
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 26 sec ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013
trapp76 wrote:

gilp5 wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

They're in salary cap hell with a team that isn't as good as the Warriors.

I'd say pushing the Warriors to game 7 in the WCF and having a lead on them in the second half of game 7 with your 2nd best player on the shelf is pretty close to being "as good" as them (not to mention finishing with a better record than them in the regular season). I'd take another shot. Who gives a shit what your team looks like in 5 years. You have a shot to get a title right now with your team exactly as is, go for it and worry about the 2023 season later on. Rings live forever.

The warriors are clearly still the better team

The fact that we are even debating it means that clearly isn't the case.

There are people who try to debate the fact that the Earth is round, too. Just because there's a debate doesn't always mean both sides' arguments are equally valid.
Jun 6, 2018 11:59am
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

gilp5 wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.

Glad it's not us paying the supermax to a declining, injury-prone, small point guard in his 30s. That is going to be a terrible contract.

They aren't us. They're in a completely different situation.

They're in salary cap hell with a team that isn't as good as the Warriors.

I'd say pushing the Warriors to game 7 in the WCF and having a lead on them in the second half of game 7 with your 2nd best player on the shelf is pretty close to being "as good" as them (not to mention finishing with a better record than them in the regular season). I'd take another shot. Who gives a shit what your team looks like in 5 years. You have a shot to get a title right now with your team exactly as is, go for it and worry about the 2023 season later on. Rings live forever.

The warriors are clearly still the better team

The fact that we are even debating it means that clearly isn't the case.

There are people who try to debate the fact that the Earth is round, too. Just because there's a debate doesn't always mean both sides' arguments are equally valid.

There are also people who try to debate that Blake Griffin is a good player, so point taken. I stand corrected.

Jun 6, 2018 4:12pm
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

Blake Griffin IS a good player. The debate is over how good, but I doubt there are many who claim he's not a good player. 

Jun 6, 2018 9:02pm
gilp5
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 4 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5, 2011

Well there goes the finals.

Jun 6, 2018 9:15pm
pro100
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 57 min ago
Joined: Jan 17, 2012

Hopefully the rumors are true that Durant might leave the Warriors after they win this latest championship. Time to balance things out again

Jun 7, 2018 8:51am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

When you hold Curry and Thompson to 7 for 27 from the field and you outrebound the Warriors by 10 and still lose it isn't a good sign.  Durant just basically whipped the Cavs by himself by outplaying Lebron.  Even though Lebron got a triple double.  Its really remarkable that the Warriors can play like crap and still score 110 points just because one guy has a great game.  Iggy being back also contributed to the Warriors being able to win without two of their big stars playing well.  Lebron and the Cavs played well for the most part but they did not shoot well enough to win.  Too many missed layups by Lebron and other players.  Just like the Rockets last two losses.  They get out in front to start the game and then just get worn down as the game progresses by the Warriors superior talent.  Only question remaining in this series is will the Warriors throw the next game so than they can win the championship at home like they did last year.  And how many days after this thing ends will it take Lebron to figure out that he needs to switch teams.  Or will he stay with the Cavs because competing for second place isn't a bad place to be.  Although the Celtics will probably end his run of seconds next year anyway so he might be better off switching teams.

Jun 7, 2018 9:08am
ClipperSisyphus
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 sec ago
Joined: Nov 1, 2011

Time to stick a fork in it. Everyone should be talking about the offseason now.

I can't see any possible superteam beating the Warriors next year. KD has to leave to balance things out as Pro100 mentioned. Otherwise Warriors are a lock until Klay has to resign in 2019.

Jun 7, 2018 9:55am
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

Finals are boring, haven't watched any of the games since JR Smith fucked up game 1. 

 

Jun 7, 2018 10:48am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

Clippers1121 wrote:

When you hold Curry and Thompson to 7 for 27 from the field and you outrebound the Warriors by 10 and still lose it isn't a good sign.  Durant just basically whipped the Cavs by himself by outplaying Lebron.  Even though Lebron got a triple double.  Its really remarkable that the Warriors can play like crap and still score 110 points just because one guy has a great game.  Iggy being back also contributed to the Warriors being able to win without two of their big stars playing well.  Lebron and the Cavs played well for the most part but they did not shoot well enough to win.  Too many missed layups by Lebron and other players.  Just like the Rockets last two losses.  They get out in front to start the game and then just get worn down as the game progresses by the Warriors superior talent.  Only question remaining in this series is will the Warriors throw the next game so than they can win the championship at home like they did last year.  And how many days after this thing ends will it take Lebron to figure out that he needs to switch teams.  Or will he stay with the Cavs because competing for second place isn't a bad place to be.  Although the Celtics will probably end his run of seconds next year anyway so he might be better off switching teams.

 

Cleveland did good things offensively.

 

But they didn't play well.  Their defense was horrible.  The Warriors had uncontested dunks and layups in the 1st and 4th quarter.  

 

I think Cleveland is the first team in history to have a 29th ranked defense make the Finals.

 

Their defensive problems were similar in game 2.  The Warriors almost set a NBA Finals record for highest FG% in a quarter, in that game.

 

It's less about the Cavs getting worn down, and more about how bad their defense is, IMO.

Jun 7, 2018 10:51am
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 26 sec ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013
pro100 wrote:

Hopefully the rumors are true that Durant might leave the Warriors after they win this latest championship. Time to balance things out again

LOL, as if that coward is ever going to join a team that actually needs him to win, instead of sitting back and collecting easy rings.
Jun 7, 2018 10:51am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

Also, winning the championship at home is almost pointless.  Due to all of the interviews and such the players have to do, it's not like the players sign more autographs or interact with the fans any more than normal.

 

The parade is the time for fans to interact with the players.  During a clinching game, other than seeing some confetti fall, the fans don't get that much more.  It's not like the fans can get on the stage with the players.

 

If the Warriors lose game 4, it's not because they threw it, it's because they didn't play well enough.

 

Cleveland can play well enough to win some games, so that could still happen.

 

But their best shot at winning a series was winning a few of these first 3 games.

Jun 7, 2018 10:52am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

Chris Paul might still have enough to help Cleveland defensively.

 

Cleveland should try him, and also one younger defensive player, during the offseason.

Jun 7, 2018 10:53am
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 47 min ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

ClipperSisyphus wrote:

Time to stick a fork in it. Everyone should be talking about the offseason now.

I can't see any possible superteam beating the Warriors next year. KD has to leave to balance things out as Pro100 mentioned. Otherwise Warriors are a lock until Klay has to resign in 2019.

Rockets almost did. I can definitely see a super team beating them...just not "Lebron and a bunch of mid-level talent". 

Jun 7, 2018 10:55am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011
Mid level is being kind
Jun 7, 2018 10:58am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011
Toronto's collapse against Cleveland keeps looking more shameful, Cleveland isn't very good, taken to 7 by a mediocre Pacers and depleted Celtics and not putting any more fight against Golden State than the Pelicans.
Jun 7, 2018 11:13am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

When you replace Kyrie Irving's 40 and 38 point games from last year with George Hill's meager output there is going to be a dropoff.  Just shocked that Lebron and company have made this series competitive even without Irving.  No question the Cavs are playing a lot better and harder than they did against the Celtics.  Warriors are just a stacked team that is next best thing to impossible to defend unless you have an elite defensive team.  Which the Cavs don't.  I give them a lot of credit for playing hard and making the games competitive against a really good team.  Man if Thompson and Curry were hitting their shots last night they could have won by 40 even though they got outrebounded by 10.  So maybe the Cavs did not play that well.  Oh well.  Celtics or Raptors not as good as the Pelicans either.  And either one of them would have gotten swept in the finals just like what will happen to the Cavs.  And yes, the Rockets probably lose in five with a healthy Iguodala.

Jun 7, 2018 11:41am
gilp5
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 4 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5, 2011

nuraman00 wrote:

Chris Paul might still have enough to help Cleveland defensively.

 

Cleveland should try him, and also one younger defensive player, during the offseason.

I could see this happening if Houston refuses to give Paul the contract he wants and Paul refuses to budge. I wouldn't bet on it happening, but it's possible. Cleveland would need to clear space somehow - maybe dump Love and/or Hill.

Jun 7, 2018 11:56am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

I can't see CP3 wanting to live in Cleveland.  Going from warm weather cities to frozen winters with lots of ice and snow are not that fun.  And I doubt that he wants to move his family there and he hates being separated from his family.  And he probably doesn't want to be that close to Blake Griffin in nearby Detroit.

Jun 7, 2018 12:04pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

Nobody wants to go to CLE except vet min guys who want to play with Lebron. Star players who can make money don't want to live there, even with Lebron. I think that is partially why his supporting cast always ends up worse in CLE than it was in MIA. Kyrie was there for the championship but he was on an RFA deal where he couldn't leave.

Much more likely Lebron leaves and goes somewhere else.

I still think he will try and find his way to HOU somehow, but PHI wouldn't be a bad choice for him either.

Jun 7, 2018 12:10pm
gilp5
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 4 sec ago
Joined: Dec 5, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

Nobody wants to go to CLE except vet min guys who want to play with Lebron. Star players who can make money don't want to live there, even with Lebron. I think that is partially why his supporting cast always ends up worse in CLE than it was in MIA. Kyrie was there for the championship but he was on an RFA deal where he couldn't leave.

Much more likely Lebron leaves and goes somewhere else.

I still think he will try and find his way to HOU somehow, but PHI wouldn't be a bad choice for him either.

I don't buy that at all. Players will go anywhere if they think it is a better situation for them money/winning/team wise. The city does not make a difference.

Jun 7, 2018 12:28pm
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

Do you think Blake Griffin likes living in Detroit more than he likes living in Pacific Palisades?  I don't think so.  If you have enough money already then working conditions matter.  And part of that is the city that you play in.