2018 NBA Finals Thread.

165 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jun 1, 2018 12:14am
gilp5

Cleveland much more competitive than anyone thought. I don't think the Warriors are at the same level this year.

Jun 1, 2018 5:35am
nuraman00

Rhy1244 wrote:
Poor lebron. I woulda berated smith in front of everybody.

There's still more games to be played.  He has to have Smith mentally confident for the next game.

Jun 1, 2018 5:44am
nuraman00

gilp5 wrote:

Cleveland much more competitive than anyone thought. I don't think the Warriors are at the same level this year.

This was the kind of game I was hoping to see.  Actually the best case would have been a Cavs blowout.  I always expect a road blowout somewhere during the latter stages of the playoffs.  It happens.

And I agree that the Warriors aren't at the same level.

My concern is that the Cavs aren't at the same level either.

If you look at my post # 20, I said Hill and JR Smith were my biggest concerns.  Cavs are having to rely on them more this year, than last year, and they are really inconsistent.  As I noted earlier, when Hill is bad, he is really bad.

I'm not going to get after him for the missed FT.  But he did play poorly for much of the earlier game.

Also, his missed FT kind of averages out.  Lebron's one weakness is foul shooting.  I kept expecting him to miss FTs.  He's a career 73.9% shooter.  But he went 10-11, which is better than his average suggests.

Also, for the first time in these playoffs, the Cavs offense started to remind me of the Mike Brown offense from 2007 - 2010.  That offense sucked.  There wasn't much player movement, and Love wasn't as good in the 2nd half, nor getting the ball in good spots either.

Jun 1, 2018 5:44am
nuraman00

Waiting for @Clippers1121, and maybe @Olowokandi34, if he watched?

Jun 1, 2018 5:45am
nuraman00

Also, @JGlanton usually watches too.

Jun 1, 2018 6:04am
nuraman00

I think I screamed when Smith got the rebound, but didn't call a timeout.

I think the last time I screamed during a Cavs Finals game, where there was a mistake, was when Varejao attemped to tie the game in game 3 of the 2007 Finals, and predictably bricked it:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/pbp/200706120CLE.html

0:23.9     72-70   Defensive rebound by A. Varejao
0:13.9     72-70   A. Varejao misses 2-pt shot from 2 ft
0:12.9 Defensive rebound by T. Duncan   72-70    

Go to 1:24:45

Jun 1, 2018 7:07am
V-Ice
So many bogus calls on the Cavs; my goodness the play where Bron had a clean strip off of KD earlier in the game and then the block/charge reversal. Bron played fantastic..... NBA should be ashamed of themselves.
Jun 1, 2018 10:15am
pro100

That overturned charge call was bullshit!! Yeah JR Smith pulled a Bill Buckner/Chris Webber but the refs were terrible and all in for the Dubs

Jun 1, 2018 10:30am
trapp76

V-Ice wrote:
JR thought they had the lead..

What a fucking idiot.

How does that happen? Feel bad for Lebron.

Jun 1, 2018 11:20am
nuraman00

Smith claims he knew the score.

It still doesn't help understand his decision-making.

https://deadspin.com/j-r-smith-claims-he-knew-the-score-1826478455

Jun 1, 2018 11:23am
nuraman00

It was the first time in Finals history that someone scored or assisted on 70 points, and his team lost the game.

Jun 1, 2018 11:29am
Hitnrun24

V-Ice wrote:
So many bogus calls on the Cavs; my goodness the play where Bron had a clean strip off of KD earlier in the game and then the block/charge reversal. Bron played fantastic..... NBA should be ashamed of themselves.

Yes that strip call was awful. Also the first play in OT where Hill strips Durant. Really any play involving Durant went the Warriors way, same thing happened against the Rockets. For whatever reason in these playoffs the refs have been set on giving especially him the benefit of every call. Every block/charge can be changed for either side if you are looking at it in slow motion, it's terrible they wanted to change that call.

The NBA will come out in support of these guys, but I really wish they would come down on them for stuff like this. They're opening the door to changing the way things will be done in the future, now teams will want to challenge any subjective calls. What if a team wants them to review a big 3 from Harden and call it a travel? 10 people can look at the same play and 5 will say it is and 5 will say it's legal.

Jun 1, 2018 12:01pm
JGlanton

nuraman00 wrote:

Also, @JGlanton usually watches too.

Yeah I watched it.  Basketball is such a game of "if only he...".  JR Smith has never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. He's often a liability, and sometimes gets hot.  He's like Jamal Crawford without the big brain.

Jun 1, 2018 12:04pm
trapp76

nuraman00 wrote:

Smith claims he knew the score.

It still doesn't help understand his decision-making.

https://deadspin.com/j-r-smith-claims-he-knew-the-score-1826478455

Bullshit. He didn't know the score. He was right under the basket with the ball, all he had to do was lay it in.

Jun 1, 2018 12:10pm
babyradar01

If JR had said he was trying to kick it out to LeBron thinking that the defense would not be set aftr th miss and LBJ possibly being open for a clean look...I could have bought that. Of course the guy has an IQ of 16 so naturally all he could think of was some ridiculous lie. What an idiot.  There was only one Cavalier happy after all that shit went down...George Hill. No one will remember he missed a FT for the win.

Jun 1, 2018 12:15pm
tullabye
Loved seeing Elgin is still the man after all these years. Still is the GOAT with 61 points in game in the finals. In regulation and no three pointers.
Jun 1, 2018 12:18pm
Rhy1244
Ty lue should have called the time out as soon as smith took two steps. But I guess no one plans around /that/ play.
Jun 1, 2018 12:23pm
ClipperSisyphus

Can't blame the entire game on one bad play by JR. George Hill missed the second free throw that would have given the Cavs the lead. Cavs got smoked in OT 17-7.

If Cavs want to win a game, they need at least 3 players to score more than 15 points. Only LeBron and Love stepped up in Game 1.

Jun 1, 2018 12:37pm
nuraman00

I think Curry would have hit the GW if Hill had made the 2nd FT.

They didn't go to Love much in the 2nd half.

I also think Hood or Calderon should have gotten some time.  I think they can contribute offensivley.

Jun 1, 2018 12:53pm
Hitnrun24

We don't know if JR would have made the shot, that play doesn't really stick with me all that much. Maybe he could have passed it to Lebron who would have made the shot, but who knows.

The bogus review and then changing a 50/50 call is the worse offense when it shouldn't have been reviewed in the first place. It shouldn't even be allowed since they can't make other subjective changes like on an out of bounds situation where a guy clearly fouls someone but they can only change the call based on who it goes out on. Those refs wanted to have an impact which is inexcusable.

Jun 1, 2018 12:58pm
nuraman00

Just asking a question.

What was the last series that had good games in games 1 and 2?  I'm not sure that happened in the 2018 playoffs, so maybe something from the 2017 playoffs?

Can anyone remember or find such a series?

Jun 1, 2018 1:24pm
V-Ice
Draymond’s Hit on Bron face should have been called a Flagrant. Was no where near going for the ball. Even Javie said it was a charge since bron’s Left foot was down.....it’s an easy call to make. If it was Bron driving into KD they would have called a flagrant on Bron...
Jun 1, 2018 1:56pm
Clippers1121

I thought Lebron's play on Durant was definitely a block and not a charge.  He ran to a spot that Durant had a right to go to on his way to the basket.  If Lebron holds up a foot he still would have been outside of the restricted area and he could have taken the charge since Durant then would have had time to stop.  I did not think that was subject to review either but apparently it was. 

Lue was just as responsible for the blown timeout as JR Smith.  He could have called it himself.  He could have instructed his players to call it if they got the rebound.  He blew it.  He just assumed the guy would make the free throw.

This was a great game from a spectator standpoint.  Did not expect it to be competitive.  James getting 51 was no big surprise.  Rest of Cavs playing hard and well on the road was a surprise.  Love played a very solid game.  They really controlled the boards.  Kerr putting in McGee at the start of the second half was a good move and helped them get some easy buckets and more rebounds.  I think the Warriors will adjust and that game two will not be close.  And yes the Warriors are a much weaker team without Iggy and without the bench play they were getting last year.

Jun 1, 2018 2:49pm
mannycoon
Durant was in position to challenge the shot if Smith went back up. I think his explanation he was looking for Lebron makes sense, but someone probably should have called a timeout, it didnt need to be him though.
Jun 1, 2018 2:49pm
VFHS
mannycoon wrote:
Durant was in position to challenge the shot if Smith went back up. I think his explanation he was looking for Lebrin makes sense, but some probably should have called a timeout.
LeBron was trying. The refs just ignored him because they were too busy rigging the game for the Warriors.
Jun 1, 2018 2:51pm
Hitnrun24

Clippers1121 wrote:

I thought Lebron's play on Durant was definitely a block and not a charge. 

I've heard just as many people say it was definitely a charge. At that point the "right" call does not matter. It should not have been reviewed. And if it is that subjective you should not change it. Slow motion would change so many calls in the game so using a rule under a false trigger to change an either way call is unjustifiable.

Hearing some people say it was definitely a charge and others say it definitely a block is enough evidence that it's too close to change and you should not want to change a subjective call since it is not allowed for the reasons given.

Jun 1, 2018 2:59pm
trapp76

babyradar01 wrote:

If JR had said he was trying to kick it out to LeBron thinking that the defense would not be set aftr th miss and LBJ possibly being open for a clean look...I could have bought that. 

Uhm no. Lebron was wide open at the top of the key. He looked right at him and kept on dribbling.

In fact, you can actually see him mouthing the words "I thought we were ahead".

One of the flat out dumbest and most costly plays in NBA history. No excuse for it whatsoever. 

Jun 1, 2018 2:59pm
trapp76

mannycoon wrote:
Durant was in position to challenge the shot if Smith went back up.

Not really, he was over his back, so even if he had challenged he could have easily gotten called for a foul.

Jun 1, 2018 3:01pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
mannycoon wrote:
Durant was in position to challenge the shot if Smith went back up. I think his explanation he was looking for Lebrin makes sense, but some probably should have called a timeout.
LeBron was trying. The refs just ignored him because they were too busy rigging the game for the Warriors.

Just liked they rigged the games for them against Houston too?

Jun 1, 2018 3:03pm
VFHS
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
mannycoon wrote:

No, actual rigging. Not a team bricking 27 straight threes and then blaming the refs.
Jun 1, 2018 3:04pm
gilp5

trapp76 wrote:

babyradar01 wrote:

If JR had said he was trying to kick it out to LeBron thinking that the defense would not be set aftr th miss and LBJ possibly being open for a clean look...I could have bought that. 

Uhm no. Lebron was wide open at the top of the key. He looked right at him and kept on dribbling.

In fact, you can actually see him mouthing the words "I thought we were ahead".

One of the flat out dumbest and most costly plays in NBA history. No excuse for it whatsoever. 

At least it was in a game 1 and not in a game 7. That's the only consolation he might have. And the fact that he will be making $45 million between this year and the next two no matter what and he is set financially for 100 lifetimes. 

Jun 1, 2018 3:15pm
trapp76
Jun 1, 2018 3:19pm
trapp76
VFHS wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

VFHS wrote:
mannycoon wrote:

No, actual rigging. Not a team bricking 27 straight threes and then blaming the refs.
I’m sure they rigged JR Smith to be an idiot and George Hill to miss the FT (after they called a foul that let him shoot FTs despite the fact they were rigging for the Warriors).
Jun 3, 2018 9:34am
pro100

I expect the Cavs to bonce back today with a win. Dispite the mental errors in game 1 they know they can beat the Warriors. 

Jun 3, 2018 10:40am
Clippers1121

I expect the Warriors to trap Lebron a lot tonight and force other players to beat them.  Much like the Pelicans did to Damian Lillard.  Warriors win this one easily.

Jun 3, 2018 12:45pm
V-Ice
No way the Warriors can trap Bron; no one has done it for a long time.
Jun 3, 2018 2:56pm
VFHS
Clippers1121 wrote:

I expect the Warriors to trap Lebron a lot tonight and force other players to beat them.  Much like the Pelicans did to Damian Lillard.  Warriors win this one easily.

If it was that easy to stop LeBron, everyone would be doing it.
Jun 3, 2018 3:27pm
V-Ice
Bron and Cavs will even it up at 1-1 if the refs call it equally, which they may.
Jun 3, 2018 4:16pm
Hitnrun24

Cavs can not play Clarkson, he is worse than some G leaguers and doesn't know it. I'd give Hood a chance

Jun 3, 2018 4:54pm
V-Ice
Hood is not mentally ready.
Jun 3, 2018 5:50pm
Hitnrun24

Jordan Clarkson can't play. I don't know how much more evidence Lue needs to see, the guy is pure garbage. Even against bad defenders he can't do anything.

Jun 3, 2018 6:01pm
V-Ice
3 calls in favor of Warriors has resulted in 4 points for them.
Jun 4, 2018 7:13am
VFHS
Jordan Clarkson reminds me of Austin Rivers.
Jun 4, 2018 8:06am
Clippers1121

Cavs played a very competitive game for three quarters.  Then Curry started launching his daggers and it became a rout.  Hill played a good game as did Love and Lebron.  And Smith was bad as usual.  When the Warriors stay even in rebounds and turnovers with the Cavs they probably win because they have better shooters and better defenders.  Cavs need to dominate the boards like in game one to win.  Very good games by Curry, Durant, Thompson, McGee, and Livingston.  All scored very efficiently and passed the ball to open guys under the basket.  Cavs trying to guard the perimeter shooting isn't working.  Warriors like McGee are breaking free under the basket and getting layups.  Or guys like Curry just blow by their defender and there is nobody defending the basket so they get easy layups.  Problem is they can't collapse the defense because the Warriors shoot so well from the perimeter.  Then when they guard the perimeter too many guys break free for easy layups.  Cavs defense was the main problem last night.  They just did not have the personnel to guard the Warriors.

Jun 4, 2018 8:28am
Mistwell

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

Jun 4, 2018 10:35am
Clipps

Mistwell wrote:

I unfortunately missed this game. Good to know Cavs put up a fight for three quarters at least.

Lebron really just does not have the kind of support around him that a player of his caliber should have. I can fully understand why he'd take a pay cut, Chris Paul as well, and the two of them with Harden would team up on the Rockets to take out Golden State next year. I am not saying I know that will happen of course, but it seems the logical move. 

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

Jun 4, 2018 2:28pm
Hitnrun24

VFHS wrote:
Jordan Clarkson reminds me of Austin Rivers.

This brings up a great point. If Austin was doing what Clarkson has been this postseason the ridicule he'd face would be the highest in the history of basketball. I don't think Austin is an amazing player, but if you traded out Clarkson's minutes for him it would be night and day.

Austin can hang on the big stage too, there really is nothing that Clarkson is better than him at unless you want to focus on their low attempt FT shooting. He'd also help them more than JR

Jun 4, 2018 3:34pm
VFHS
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I'm afraid that'll be the most realistic move as well. I think the NBA will be an absolute terrible product if that happens unless younger teams make the next step.

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Jun 4, 2018 3:50pm
Mistwell

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

For what it's worth, Woj said on his podcast that CP0 is refusing to take a pay cut. He wants the supermax.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

Maybe. Depends on Lebron I suspect. If he gets a call from Bron...I bet his tune changes. 

Jun 4, 2018 4:21pm
trapp76

VFHS wrote:
Clipps wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

Of course he "wants" that, wouldn't you? 

He has decent leverage too. With him they had the best regular season record in the NBA and had GS down 3-2 in the WCF. Without him they got pounded the last two games by the Warriors.