2014 Winter Olympics Game Thread.

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
2014 Winter Olympics Game Thread.

Opening Ceremonies Broadcast Tonight.

7:30 PM PST

NBC.

I was watching three sports this morning.  I love the Olympics and plan to consume as much of it as I can.  Four years ago I had some remaining curling rounds on my DVR 18 months after the event, and finally got to them too.

I'll be watching. Hoping Audrey likes it as well.

V-Ice wrote:

I'll be watching. Hoping Audrey likes it as well.

Olympics seems like a fun thing to watch as a family.  I remember watching them with my family, and see other posts about friends watching it with their kids too.

I prefer the Winter Olympics to Summer too.  More variety of sports.  And things are faster too (Speed Skating races vs. summer 100m races).

Can people post what interesting events will be broadcast on TV each night that they plan to watch, and perhaps the time/channel? 

It would be appreciated, just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

I will try streams for some of the events that are stream only too.

Let's say today is just the Opening Ceremony.  But on Saturday or Sunday, there's the Medal Rounds for some events.  Can people post those events that they're interested in?

Good ceremony so far.

Too bad about the snowflake glitch.  One of them didn't transform into the Olympic Rings, so there were only 4 snowflakes that turned into rings.

*yawn*

The opening ceremony was nicer than Canada's.

I try to catch curling, figure skating, and louge.  Kim Yu-na is pretty amazing. Plus the Japanese-American who lives in Arcadia got shafted, so it is even more important that the girl who took her place justifies the committee's decision.  

The colors, the performance, the history, the dancing.  The Opening Ceremonies were good.

I think the last one I saw was the Beijing one.  Both were good, but I slightly prefer this one.

The Opening Ceremonies are a bit long though.  They have one part of the show, then the Parade Of Nations, then another part.  Could be more condensed if they combined both parts into about 1 hr 30 mins, and after the Parade Of Nations.

As for the actual lighting of the torch, my favorite is still the 1992 Barcelona won, where they shot arrows that lit it.

Go to 4:40:

Men's biatholon was pretty epic today.  Ole Einar Bjørndalen at age 40 tied to become the male athlete with the most Winter Olympic medals in history today (12 total, 7 golds), with his win on the Men's 10KM Sprint biatholon (the one where they cross country ski and shoot). His first gold was 16 years ago.

Wow, great info.

I still have never seen the biathlon, it's one of those I always seem to miss.

So I guess unlike the Summer Olympics, which usually have prelim rounds then medal rounds, these Winter games go straight to the medal rounds. 

Here's the remaining biathlon schedule:

8 February 18:30   Men's Sprint 10 km Official Results   Results
Today 18:30   Women's 7.5 km Sprint Scheduled    
10 February 19:00   Men's 12.5 km Pursuit Scheduled    
11 February 19:00   Women's 10km Pursuit Scheduled    
13 February 18:00   Men's Individual 20 km Scheduled    

Sochi is 12 hours ahead, so the next biathlon is actually coming up in 2 hours 15 mins!

Ok, Ole is supposed to compete in the Men's 12.5 km Pursuit too.  I will look out for this.

Ok, am set to record NBC's 2/10 3PM tape delayed broadcast of the biathlon, which should have the Men's 12.5 km. 

Thank you Mistwell .  This is the kind of info I was looking for.  Something or someone interesting to watch, and luckily Ole is competing in more events, so I can still watch him.

There are prelim rounds for some sports, just depends on the sport.  For example I watched the prelim round for one of the ski jump competitions yesterday too.

Bjørndalen is a great competitor and very humble.  When interviewed after his win, he mostly said "I got lucky".  Of course, this isn't luck:

I am going to try and catch the Men's skiathlon 30k finals today (which is just cross country skiing).  People to watch in that event are: Switzerland's Dario Cologna, Petter Northug of Norway, and Martin Johnsrud Sundby of Norway.

Did the JAMAICA bobsleigh team make the Olympics??? :)

EDIT:

OH ME, OH MY!!! I JUST LOOKED IT UP AND... THEY MADE IT!!!! They debut on February 16th!!!!

Funny you should ask, because in fact they are!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/08/3919679/jamaican-bobsled-team-back-at.html

Jamaica Bobsled, Sunday Feb 16.  Guy is 46 years old now, competed in 1988, and came out of retirement to revive the team.  Raise money through donations online.

Mistwell wrote:

Funny you should ask, because in fact they are!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/08/3919679/jamaican-bobsled-team-back-at.html

Jamaica Bobsled, Sunday Feb 16.  Guy is 46 years old now, competed in 1988, and came out of retirement to revive the team.  Raise money through donations online.

Thanks.  I've never seen them, I have to catch them one year.  Hopefully this year.  :)

Mistwell wrote:

I am going to try and catch the Men's skiathlon 30k finals today (which is just cross country skiing).  People to watch in that event are: Switzerland's Dario Cologna, Petter Northug of Norway, and Martin Johnsrud Sundby of Norway.

Cologna took first, Sunby third, and Northug was in the final pack but didn't make it to a medal.There is controversy regarding the finish.  A Russian was in fourth, and they are accusing Sunby of interference at the end.  They appealed and got rejected, and are filling a second appeal.

The biathlon was fun to watch!  Everyone was missing during the last two shooting rounds. 

Exciting finish.

Thanks.

nuraman00 wrote:

The biathlon was fun to watch!  Everyone was missing during the last two shooting rounds. 

Exciting finish.

Thanks.

Yeah it was a great finish.  Fourcade really swept the ending, but the race for bronze was tight. Hard to believe all those misses, but the standing shot is much harder.  If Ole Einar Bjoerndalen hadn't missed that last shot, he could have taken it.  He only missed bronze by about 1.5 seconds even with the miss.

So there are two types of shots?  Standing shot, and something else?  I think laying shot?

They're showing Speed Skating qualifying right now on NBC's tape delayed broadcast.

They send out two competitors at a time, one in the inner lane, one in the outer lane.

Does everyone eventually do both lanes, once inner, once outer?  And do they then combined the times to form a composite, then determine the cut-off then?

Because one round seems to be about 35 seconds, but then they're showing the standings with an aggregate time of 70 seconds.  So it seems to suggest that everyone must have run once prior, in either the inner or outer, whatever they didn't do this time.

Is this correct?

Mistwell wrote:

nuraman00 wrote:

Exciting finish.

Thanks.

Yeah it was a great finish.  Fourcade really swept the ending, but the race for bronze was tight. Hard to believe all those misses, but the standing shot is much harder.  If Ole Einar Bjoerndalen hadn't missed that last shot, he could have taken it.  He only missed bronze by about 1.5 seconds even with the miss.

Agree.  I wish he'd do one more event!  I don't want to wait 4 more years to potentially see him.

EDIT:

++++++++++++++

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/sochi/2014/02/10/ole-einar-bjoerndaln-biathlon-12-5k-pursuit/5361355/

Bjoerndalen, who has said this Olympics will be his last, will have several more opportunities to set the individual mark for most total medals with upcoming performances in the men's 4x7.5km and mixed relays as well as the 15k mass start and 20k individual races. So is Bjoerndalen feeling any pressure with the sole record so close within reach?

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/biathlon-men-s-4x7-5-km-relay

13 February 18:00   Men's Individual 20 km Scheduled    
16 February 19:00   Men's 15km Mass Start Scheduled    

19 February

18:30 2x6km Women + 2x7.5 km Men Mixed Relay

22 February

18:30 Men's Relay 4x7.5 km Scheduled

nuraman00 wrote:

So there are two types of shots?  Standing shot, and something else?  I think laying shot?

One shot must be done standing, the second maybe done either standing or laying down.  Shooting is best done when your heart rate is lower, and laying down helps with that, along with helping to steady the shot while on the ground bracing off your arm. 

Mistwell wrote:

nuraman00 wrote:

One shot must be done standing, the second maybe done either standing or laying down.  Shooting is best done when your heart rate is lower, and laying down helps with that, along with helping to steady the shot while on the ground bracing off your arm. 

Thanks.

What do you think is more comfortable, laying or standing?  Or do you think the heart rate is the biggest factor?

nuraman00 wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

nuraman00 wrote:

Thanks.

What do you think is more comfortable, laying or standing?  Or do you think the heart rate is the biggest factor?

I myself don't have enough shooting experience to answer really.  The athletes all seem to prefer laying down.  I always thought it was for the bracing, but I heard on the radio yesterday that your heart is racing so hard from the ski race itself that laying down helps a lot in changing the rhythm.  He called it "entering the void" when you change your mentality from the race to the shot.

Tough day on the moguls after things didn't go Russia's (Putin's) way. 

LOL

What is Hollins doing?

Defensive foul.  Then he draws a loose ball foul on the Blazers.  Then he gets an offensive foul.  Then an offensive rebound and score.  

Followed by drawing a charge.

He is so amazingly erratic...between good and Terrible.

Edit:  Wrong thread...oh well.

wrong thread...oh well.

Men's 15km Mass Start

• Start: February 18, 2014, 14:30 Rescheduled

It's kinduva chickflick but I find myself strangely fascinated by the cat curling events.