#5 - Utah Jazz @ LA Clippers

Utah Jazz Utah Jazz
LA Clippers LA Clippers

#5 - Utah Jazz @ LA Clippers

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 7:30pm
Apr 25, 2017 10:28pm
Olowokandi34
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 7 min ago
Joined: Jan 4, 2012

Joe Johnson, man.  Mr. 4th quarter. 

Apr 25, 2017 10:29pm
jnhuashopper
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: Jul 4, 2012

Clippers switch so easy on those picks even when the picks are not there, they switch early and switching again.  Luc is gambling at times when he should just stay with Luc.

Apr 25, 2017 10:31pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

Doc is pretty much giving all the minutes to DJ, Luc with the rest 6'3 and under guards along with Jamal who plays smaller than any of them. That's why you don't get help on the boards and a defense that's constantly leveraged.

Apr 25, 2017 10:32pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

Bass looked ok in the first half, why not give him a couple more minutes?

Apr 25, 2017 10:37pm
jnhuashopper
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: Jul 4, 2012

Hitnrun24 wrote:

Doc is pretty much giving all the minutes to DJ, Luc with the rest 6'3 and under guards along with Jamal who plays smaller than any of them. That's why you don't get help on the boards and a defense that's constantly leveraged.

Jamal fell down on a couple of occassions giving open looks.  Redick gamble and a couple of mis assignmnets giving another couple of good looks.  they hit these wide open shots.  Luc gambled on D when he could've just stayed with Joe Johnson.  When he gambled he had to run back and chase Johnson down, Johnson gets two teamed kicked out to open shooters.  These open looks killed us.  Gordon Hayward with the game ball.  He made some huge hustle plays running on offense, defense and getting rebounds or tapping for second chance opportunities.

Apr 25, 2017 10:51pm
V-Ice
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011

Hayward had 8 boards. Gobert had 11. Dj was the only Clipper w/ over 5 boards.

I don't like to see Mo-Buckets start. It really messes up the rotation. Start Bass Coach Doc.

Apr 25, 2017 11:00pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

Mo was a mess 

Apr 25, 2017 11:07pm
OGClipsFan32
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 6 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011

Worst team defense I have seen in person in awhile. You can't expect to win playoff series in the West if you can't string together stops when you need them. Even when the Clips managed to get stops the Jazz still got open looks. And I won't even get started on this team playing defense for 23 seconds before giving up a crap bucket or offensive rebound. It doesn't take an expert to recognize the fact that Doc isn't getting the most out of the guys...end rant. 

 

Apr 26, 2017 12:09am
Clipps
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: May 4, 2015
This has been the least fun team to watch in my history of being a Clippers fan. Doc must be on a vendetta to ruin anything good the Clippers ever had. Either that or he sucks that bad at being a GM. His coaching hasn't been that much better.
Apr 26, 2017 5:30am
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 49 min ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013

Jamal Crawford: 2-8, 4 points. So much for "the haters" being wrong about his atrocious postseason play!

Apr 26, 2017 7:59am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011

So our small lineups have been getting beat up over the course of the series, so Doc's attempted solution is to go even smaller?

During our hot run at the end of the season our main bench lineup was Speights-Bass-Johnson-Crawford-Felton (or maybe Pierce in place of Bass), it was one of the few times during the season we didn't go small and we were successful, but once the playoffs started we immediately moved away from it.

It's not the like the smaller lineups are highly effective on offense either, we've only cracked 100 once for the entire series.

Apr 26, 2017 8:40am
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 49 min ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013

It's Doc's penis envy for Golden State. The Warriors play small-ball, so Doc is trying to "prove" that he can play small too, without any thought given to how ill-suited our roster is to that. 

Apr 26, 2017 9:01am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 31 min ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

Uh...we are missing one of our only competent bigs in Blake Griffin.  We have to go small or put Speights in the game.  Newsflash - Speights has sucked the whole series.  I think Bass was doing OK while he was in there.  Pierce was doing OK too.  Problem is that we got outrebounded by nine and outrebounded on the offensive boards by 7 to 3.  Turnovers I think were about even.  It is tough to win with less possessions unless you can really outshoot the other team.  Jazz did not even shoot well and they still beat us.  Without Blake it takes away high percentage shots and puts the ball in the hands of less efficient scorers.  Like Crawford, Speights, Mbah a Moute, and whoever else was jacking up low percentage shots.  And with Gobert playing it takes away lob passes to DJ which are the most efficient shots we can take.  Adds up to 42% from the field when we needed to be at 46%.  Jazz were down near 42% too but they had more possessions due to the rebounding issue.

Summary - Jazz did not play that well and still won the game because Gobert is back and playing well enough to impact our offense.  We needed Griffin to offset him.  We were well enough coached and played hard as hell but it could not overcome our lack of size and skill.  We only have two bigs that are above average players and when one of them is out it basically kills us.  Jazz have about an 80% of closing us out on Friday.

Apr 26, 2017 9:06am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011

One thing the Warriors don't use is small wings.  Klay, Barnes and McCaw are 6'7", Iguodala is 6'6" but pretty much ripped, Livingston is 6'7", Durant is likely taller than his listed 6'9", Harrison Barnes was 6'8".  Ian Clark is the exception, but it's not like they ever play him at SF.  Iguodala is the third shortest player on the team, we used five players smaller than him last night.

Apr 26, 2017 9:11am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011

Clippers1121 wrote:

 We only have two bigs that are above average players and when one of them is out it basically kills us.  Jazz have about an 80% of closing us out on Friday.

Bass's rate stats were excellent this year and he's been a pretty good player his entire career.  Doc has something up ass about him, but that is on Doc.  I have no idea if Brice can play, because he only played 9 minutes this year and that is on Doc, who wasted minutes on Pierce and forced Wes into PF to accommodate the Crawford/Austin combo.  Choosing to use guys clearly physically outmatched like Crawford or Austin at SF instead Wes is on Doc.

Apr 26, 2017 9:18am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 31 min ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

Bass can't space the floor for DJ.  He does all his scoring in the post.  That is one problem with him.  Too small to play center effectively is another problem that prevents him from getting more playing time.  I think Doc wants floor spacing so he uses smaller players that can shoot from the perimeter.  Brice Johnson had a back injury and was physically unable to play most of the year.  Not integrated into the team offense enough when he got healthy to get any minutes. 

Apr 26, 2017 9:24am
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

VFHS wrote:

Jamal Crawford: 2-8, 4 points. So much for "the haters" being wrong about his atrocious postseason play!

He was bad this game.

See, that's how you honestly assess players. When they're bad, you acknowledge when they're bad, and when they're good, you acknowledge when they're good.  If you cannot do one, you have no credibility for the other. 

Apr 26, 2017 9:29am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011

Clippers1121 wrote:

  I think Doc wants floor spacing so he uses smaller players that can shoot from the perimeter.  

Oh he definitely wants that, but then we end up with a team of soft jump shooters, who are really are streaky on offense, can't defend or rebound.  

Also if Jordan is out and Speights is on the floor, then Bass should be able to play without hurting spacing too much.  And it's not like the Jazz are afraid to use Gobert and Favors together.

And none of this really excuses thinking playing Austin/Crawford at the same time is good idea.  It never has been and never will be.  Regardless of what you think of them individually, they are awful together.

Apr 26, 2017 9:41am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 31 min ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

I think Wesley Johnson has way underperformed this year so Doc has been trying to cover it up by playing Austin at small forward instead of at shooting guard.  He gained confidence in his son when Griffin was injured and they had to go to a small lineup and Austin played well in those games.  Problem here is Wesley Johnson just playing so bad that he can't do what we are paying him to do.  Which is to score points and play defense and get some boards.  The guy has been terrible or he would be getting those minutes.  Doc loves winning more than he loves his son.  Wesley did not get minutes even when Austin was injured so you know he has to be doing really bad.

Apr 26, 2017 10:01am
dane
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 51 min ago
Joined: Dec 29, 2012

Clippers1121 wrote:

I think Wesley Johnson has way underperformed this year so Doc has been trying to cover it up by playing Austin at small forward instead of at shooting guard.  He gained confidence in his son when Griffin was injured and they had to go to a small lineup and Austin played well in those games.  Problem here is Wesley Johnson just playing so bad that he can't do what we are paying him to do.  Which is to score points and play defense and get some boards.  The guy has been terrible or he would be getting those minutes.  Doc loves winning more than he loves his son.  Wesley did not get minutes even when Austin was injured so you know he has to be doing really bad.

I don't see the evidence of that.   But we all did see evidence this season that he values Paul Pierce and his relation with fans of another team more than winning.

Apr 26, 2017 10:04am
mannycoon
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: Nov 2, 2011

Wes mostly played PF this year, we were doing Crawford-Austin-Felton pretty much from the start.  The only time of the season where Wes played much at SF was the end of season when Austin was hurt and we won a bunch of games.

Wes's shooting was really poor this year, but he defended and rebounded which we clearly lack from out wings a lot of the time.  Maybe he's an inferior player in a vacuum, but I think he balances us better as a team compared to going small.

We really should have dumped one of Anderson/Pierce for a more defensive oriented big or if we were displeased with Johnson at SF tried to add another bigger wing.  I'm really surprised Anderson stayed on the roster the entire season.

Apr 26, 2017 10:55am
Rhy1244
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: Oct 8, 2011

Just thought that if Chris Paul wanted to leave, I wouldn't blame him.  

I guess I'd still cheer for him wherever he went as long as he wasn't playing against the Clippers.

 

Apr 26, 2017 10:56am
htownfan
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 5 min ago
Joined: May 7, 2015

Mistwell wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Jamal Crawford: 2-8, 4 points. So much for "the haters" being wrong about his atrocious postseason play!

He was bad this game.

See, that's how you honestly assess players. When they're bad, you acknowledge when they're bad, and when they're good, you acknowledge when they're good.  If you cannot do one, you have no credibility for the other. 

Now that's a start...Kudos....but can you also acknowledge he has been bad more than he has been good for the series??????  He has only 1 good game.....

Apr 26, 2017 11:01am
htownfan
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 5 min ago
Joined: May 7, 2015

Rhy1244 wrote:

Just thought that if Chris Paul wanted to leave, I wouldn't blame him.  

I guess I'd still cheer for him wherever he went as long as he wasn't playing against the Clippers.

 

If I were him I would definitely try to team up with someone that gives him a chance at a championship....its going to be a shame that he is going to be like Tmac and have that astigma with him and getting out of the 2nd round.....(I realize Tmacs was 1st round unofficially) because he was suted up when San Antonio made it to the finals..

Apr 26, 2017 11:02am
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 49 min ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013

Mistwell wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Jamal Crawford: 2-8, 4 points. So much for "the haters" being wrong about his atrocious postseason play!

He was bad this game.

See, that's how you honestly assess players. When they're bad, you acknowledge when they're bad, and when they're good, you acknowledge when they're good.  If you cannot do one, you have no credibility for the other. 

There's a big difference between acknowledging a good game and using one good game as an excuse to call out "the haters," implying that we are wrong about him being a terrible postseason player. You even tried to claim that he was an efficient scorer on a reasonable contract when we all know he's not.

Apr 26, 2017 11:31am
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 2 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

Rhy1244 wrote:

Just thought that if Chris Paul wanted to leave, I wouldn't blame him.  

I guess I'd still cheer for him wherever he went as long as he wasn't playing against the Clippers.

I was thinking the same thing last night, while I was watching him bust his ass yet again in a losing effort while Blake sat on the bench yet again in street clothes during playoff time and Redick was the only other player on the court scoring any points.

This will probably be his last chance to choose a destination where he will have a real shot at a ring and let's be honest, Blake Griffin has now shown that he is not enough of a superstar to help CP get past the Warriors over the next 3-4 years, Blake just hasn't shown that he can stay healthy and it could get worse going forward. The Clippers also can't do much to get better at this point aside from trading for Carmelo Anthony (but I still don't know that it would make them all that much better).

His only shot to beat the Warriors is going to be in SA with Leonard and Aldridge or in Cleveland with Lebron. He should seriously consider going to one of those two teams. No other teams in the league have enough to offer him that would be an upgrade over what he has here. 

I think Cleveland is the most realistic landing spot, because they could sign and trade Irving to the Clippers and CP could still get his full max deal without losing any money (while the Clippers get a younger PG to pair with Blake and DJ going forward). That seems like the most logical way to go to me (as long as he doesn't mind living in Cleveland for 5 years). If he signs in SA, he is going to have to leave money on the table.

Blake and Doc have really let CP down during his time here.

Apr 26, 2017 11:30am
gilp5
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 39 min ago
Joined: Dec 5, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

Rhy1244 wrote:

Just thought that if Chris Paul wanted to leave, I wouldn't blame him.  

I guess I'd still cheer for him wherever he went as long as he wasn't playing against the Clippers.

I was thinking the same thing last night, while I was watching him bust his ass yet again in a losing effort while Blake sat on the bench yet again in street clothes during playoff time and Redick was the only other player on the court scoring any points.

This will probably be his last chance to choose a destination where he will have a real shot at a ring and let's be honest, Blake Griffin has now shown that he is not enough of a superstar to help CP get past the Warriors over the next 3-4 years, Blake just hasn't shown that he can stay healthy and it could get worse going forward. The Clippers also can't do much to get better at this point aside from trading for Carmelo Anthony (but I still don't know that it would make them all that much better).

His only shot to beat the Warriors is going to be in SA with Leonard and Aldridge or in Cleveland with Lebron. He should seriously consider going to one of those two teams. No other teams in the league have enough to offer him that would be an upgrade over what he has here. 

I think Cleveland is the most realistic landing spot, because they could sign and trade Irving to the Clippers and CP could still get his full max deal without losing any money (while the Clippers get a younger PG to pair with Blake and DJ going forward). That seems like the most logical way to go to me (as long as he doesn't mind living in Cleveland for 5 years).

Blake and Doc have really let CP down during his time here.

Cleveland would not be better than Golden State in that scenario.

Apr 26, 2017 11:32am
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 2 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

gilp5 wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

Rhy1244 wrote:

Just thought that if Chris Paul wanted to leave, I wouldn't blame him.  

I guess I'd still cheer for him wherever he went as long as he wasn't playing against the Clippers.

I was thinking the same thing last night, while I was watching him bust his ass yet again in a losing effort while Blake sat on the bench yet again in street clothes during playoff time and Redick was the only other player on the court scoring any points.

This will probably be his last chance to choose a destination where he will have a real shot at a ring and let's be honest, Blake Griffin has now shown that he is not enough of a superstar to help CP get past the Warriors over the next 3-4 years, Blake just hasn't shown that he can stay healthy and it could get worse going forward. The Clippers also can't do much to get better at this point aside from trading for Carmelo Anthony (but I still don't know that it would make them all that much better).

His only shot to beat the Warriors is going to be in SA with Leonard and Aldridge or in Cleveland with Lebron. He should seriously consider going to one of those two teams. No other teams in the league have enough to offer him that would be an upgrade over what he has here. 

I think Cleveland is the most realistic landing spot, because they could sign and trade Irving to the Clippers and CP could still get his full max deal without losing any money (while the Clippers get a younger PG to pair with Blake and DJ going forward). That seems like the most logical way to go to me (as long as he doesn't mind living in Cleveland for 5 years).

Blake and Doc have really let CP down during his time here.

Cleveland would not be better than Golden State in that scenario.

Maybe not, but they would have a much better shot at beating GS than the Clippers would in their current state. CP >>>> Irving

Apr 26, 2017 12:04pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

This has to be Doc's worst coaching year that he's been here, he might only be as good as his assistants. Other years he's really failed as GM, but he's been a bad coach this year too. He's killed Wes Johnson's confidence and then expects him to produce anything in 4 minutes. Bass can play with DJ on offense because he rolls well and can score so defenses do have to account for him, he's at least been worth a shot. Giving Paul Pierce min over those 2 in reg season and playoffs is just so stupid, you need to develop the roster and find working combinations and now he is going to have to make a blind adjustment in a close out game.

 

He took small ball to a whole new level last night, small ball is not playing a bunch of small guards. What other team does that? None because it doesn't work, it's playing small at the PF or C position while having a few 6'7+ guys out there together preferably with length. Our defense is scrambling constantly because we are playing guys that are too small to cover their guys and we are forced into double teams. Also Chris played 38 minutes in a very important game when we have 2 off days before the next game. Um, this guy is pretty good and didn't look tired so why didn't he play 42+ min? It's the fucking playoffs, you don't just take a chance and hope mediocre bench guards who weren't playing well can get you by.

Apr 26, 2017 12:19pm
Clipps
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: May 4, 2015
JJ Redick was playing SF for most of the game
Apr 26, 2017 12:25pm
pro100
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: Jan 17, 2012

Doc's entire way of building a team is completely outdated. No length or youth surrounding the core whatsoever

Apr 26, 2017 12:37pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

Clipps wrote:
JJ Redick was playing SF for most of the game

 

It's sad that this is what Doc thinks playing small in today's game means

Apr 26, 2017 12:48pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

For all the shit Melo takes, I think this series would be a sweep if we had him. Think Johnson could have just backed him down? How much would it have helped Chris to have someone like that to ease his burden. He would have at the very least been to us what Johnson has been for the Jazz. Playoffs are a different game and having scorers like that is super valuable.

 

Too many stat guys get into this group think where they think oh this guy holds the ball therefore he is bad. Maybe the Knicks wouldn't take our offer, but if we could have had Lance and that 1st round pick back from the stupid ass Jeff Green trade then I'm sure that would have been enough along with 2 of JJ/Jamal/ Austin. I'm sure Doc will have to pay more now if he wants him.

Apr 26, 2017 1:16pm
V-Ice
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011

Melo would have helped immensely.. Also jr being injured could have helped and it would have been a sweep w jr healthy.

Apr 26, 2017 1:22pm
htownfan
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 5 min ago
Joined: May 7, 2015

V-Ice wrote:

Melo would have helped immensely.. Also jr being injured could have helped and it would have been a sweep w jr healthy.

Now you know I have to ask about "practicing"...

Maybe CP3 has two monster games and gets you into the 2nd round still.......

Apr 26, 2017 1:56pm
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

htownfan wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

VFHS wrote:

Jamal Crawford: 2-8, 4 points. So much for "the haters" being wrong about his atrocious postseason play!

He was bad this game.

See, that's how you honestly assess players. When they're bad, you acknowledge when they're bad, and when they're good, you acknowledge when they're good.  If you cannot do one, you have no credibility for the other. 

Now that's a start...Kudos....but can you also acknowledge he has been bad more than he has been good for the series??????  He has only 1 good game.....

I personally thought he had two good games, but whatever.  I think he's been bad, except relative to the rest of the team, up until this last game.  Relative to the rest of the team, he remains the third best player up until this last game. And that's with him playing not so good. I think if a few other players just played to their averages for those prior games, even their playoff averages, Jamal would look good right now.  He's being forced to play hero ball because literally nobody else on the team except CP3 can make a shot (and except DJ, but only if he's handed the ball below the basket). I think he's played overall meh, but better than most other players on the team up until this game.  Which, to me, means he shouldn't be the guy being singled out for all this criticism. 

Apr 26, 2017 1:56pm
Clipps
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: May 4, 2015

Hitnrun24 wrote:

Clipps wrote:
JJ Redick was playing SF for most of the game

 

It's sad that this is what Doc thinks playing small in today's game means

With 2 sub 6' 0" guards in the back court. JJ is already undersized for a SG, let alone a SF. Max Kellerman still considered Doc a great coach. Kellerman is also an idiot, I take Stephen A more serious than Max and that's sad.
Apr 26, 2017 2:01pm
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

Clipps wrote:

Hitnrun24 wrote:

Clipps wrote:
JJ Redick was playing SF for most of the game

 

It's sad that this is what Doc thinks playing small in today's game means

With 2 sub 6' 0" guards in the back court. JJ is already undersized for a SG, let alone a SF. Max Kellerman still considered Doc a great coach. Kellerman is also an idiot, I take Stephen A more serious than Max and that's sad.

JJ has a shorter reach than his height as well.  "...the only active NBA player at that time with a wingspan shorter than his height was J.J. Redick," 

Apr 26, 2017 2:21pm
htownfan
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 5 min ago
Joined: May 7, 2015

Mistwell wrote:

I personally thought he had two good games, but whatever.  I think he's been bad, except relative to the rest of the team, up until this last game.  Relative to the rest of the team, he remains the third best player up until this last game. And that's with him playing not so good. I think if a few other players just played to their averages for those prior games, even their playoff averages, Jamal would look good right now.  He's being forced to play hero ball because literally nobody else on the team except CP3 can make a shot (and except DJ, but only if he's handed the ball below the basket). I think he's played overall meh, but better than most other players on the team up until this game.  Which, to me, means he shouldn't be the guy being singled out for all this criticism. 

You keep saying "relative to the rest of the team"....in a perfect world where everyone is healthy on your team...other than Blake or CP3 who should be doing better than Crawford?  He is the third best player when everyone is healthy so why is it a surprise he "remains the third best player up until the last game?"   I haven't been singling just him because I think the whole team other than CP3 hasn't been that good, but you keep trying to prop Crawford on a pedestal and he has played terrible.  It is highlighted more and he may get more criticism because more is expected out of him.

If the other role players played to their  averages, Crawford would look even worse but since they all have been terrible it is a team thing.....

Apr 26, 2017 2:27pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 2 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

BTW props to JJ last night, he had a great game.

Apr 26, 2017 3:05pm
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 31 min ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

If Gobert was healthy the whole series this thing probably would have been a sweep.  For Utah.  Whine, whine, whine is what us fans are doing.  We were well coached this playoff series, the guys have played their hearts out, and every game has been really close.  I am proud of the way we have represented Clipper Nation.  In my opinion, when Blake got injured and Gobert came back that we just did not have enough talent to beat the Jazz.  Especially with them having a Joe Johnson that apparently has been saving himself for the playoffs.  Granted this Jazz team will get slaughtered by the Warriors so it isn't as if we have a path to the Conference finals even if we beat them.  Doc got the most out of this team that was humanly possible despite people grumbling about substitutions and playing time etc...  We are getting beat by a better team with better players right now.  Only thing keeping it close is CP3 playing like the best point guard in the game.  If Blake goes UFA this summer we have to let him go and Redick too and start the rebuild around CP3 and DJ.

Apr 26, 2017 5:10pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

I'm not seeing the well coached team. I think Snyder has outcoached Doc pretty handily in this series. It's not all Doc, the Joe Johnson stuff was hard to see coming but once it did happen he didn't adjust. We're doubling him when we shouldn't, switching when we shouldn't and hedging on Hill on a critical possession giving him a routine 15 footer.

 

The guys haven't been prepared well. He's played too many small guys who can't switch screens and causing the defense to break down with just a couple passes and setting up wide open 3 for the Jazz. You can't double Johnson on a face up, but these little guys are trying so hard to avoid switching that he's able to pass out of it while looking straight ahead. Most guys can pass out of that double team pretty easily, and he's a better than average passer already.

Apr 26, 2017 5:34pm
V-Ice
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011

Wes Johnson should start game 6. 

Apr 26, 2017 5:43pm
ClipperSisyphus
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 2 min ago
Joined: Nov 1, 2011

Didn't we beat the Jazz 3 times out of 4 during the regular season? Didn't their best player miss the first 3 games? Didn't we have home court advantage?

I don't know why we didn't crush the Jazz right from the get go.

Instead JJ and Jamal disappeared, the bench didn't step up and Joe Johnson turned in to a star. I put the blame for this on Doc. At least since the HOU series, this team has not had the killer instinct or belief in themselves to get tough in pressure situations.

Apr 26, 2017 7:26pm
Rhy1244
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: Oct 8, 2011

ClipperSisyphus wrote:

Didn't we beat the Jazz 3 times out of 4 during the regular season? Didn't their best player miss the first 3 games? Didn't we have home court advantage?

I don't know why we didn't crush the Jazz right from the get go.

Instead JJ and Jamal disappeared, the bench didn't step up and Joe Johnson turned in to a star. I put the blame for this on Doc. At least since the HOU series, this team has not had the killer instinct or belief in themselves to get tough in pressure situations.

We are missing our second best player.  

Apr 26, 2017 7:52pm
Mistwell
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

htownfan wrote:

Mistwell wrote:

I personally thought he had two good games, but whatever.  I think he's been bad, except relative to the rest of the team, up until this last game.  Relative to the rest of the team, he remains the third best player up until this last game. And that's with him playing not so good. I think if a few other players just played to their averages for those prior games, even their playoff averages, Jamal would look good right now.  He's being forced to play hero ball because literally nobody else on the team except CP3 can make a shot (and except DJ, but only if he's handed the ball below the basket). I think he's played overall meh, but better than most other players on the team up until this game.  Which, to me, means he shouldn't be the guy being singled out for all this criticism. 

You keep saying "relative to the rest of the team"....in a perfect world where everyone is healthy on your team...other than Blake or CP3 who should be doing better than Crawford?

Reddick. DJ should be shouldering a lot more of the scoring burden as well. Speights and Felton were playing a lot better than this before.

Quote:
He is the third best player when everyone is healthy

No he's not.  I mean he is now, during this playoff series, but he's not the third best player on the team. I'd say Austin surpassed him in fact, on the bench. Reddick was definitely better than him. 

Quote:
I haven't been singling

Then you have not been looking.  He's definitely being singled out by quite a number of users, mostly motivated by their prior arguments about him over the past several years.  It's context you might not be aware of, but yes he's being singled out for sure.

Apr 26, 2017 9:01pm
htownfan
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 5 min ago
Joined: May 7, 2015

Mistwell wrote:

htownfan wrote:

Quote:
I haven't been singling

Then you have not been looking.  He's definitely being singled out by quite a number of users, mostly motivated by their prior arguments about him over the past several years.  It's context you might not be aware of, but yes he's being singled out for sure.

Man you sure know how to ignore what "I" say....you even quoted me in saying "I" haven't been singling him out.  That means Me not anyone else.  "I" as in first person.

Ok you can argue he isn't the 3rd best player but you can't say Austin is hands down better than him because they both averaged about the same amount of points with Crawford doing it in less time and never starting a game.  As far as Speights and Felton playing a lot better you do realize in the playoffs teams gameplan and what worked in the regular season a lot of times doesn't work in the playoffs.  Teams are much better in the playoffs and you are not playing cupcakes.  Look at all the things below that changed for my team in the 1st round. It is what happens when you play better teams

  • James Harden shot 41 percent from the field, 24 percent from 3-point range, and held a negative plus/minus when he shared the court with Russell Westbrook. 
  • The Rockets shot 48 of 169 from 3-point range, 28.4 percent, the worst percentage of any team in the postseason, despite so much of their offense being built on the 3-ball.
  • They currently have the worst assist percentage of all teams in the playoffs, after ranking fourth in that category in the regular season.
  • OKC mucked up the game, frustrated Harden, and bodied the Rockets.
  • Ryan Anderson, a crack shooter, shot 3-of-24 from deep.
  • The Rockets were outscored when starting center Clint Capela was on the court.
Apr 26, 2017 9:28pm
dane
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 51 min ago
Joined: Dec 29, 2012

Douche.  You're a Houston fan.  This is a CLippers board.  That's why most of us don't give a crap what you say.   Go find a mechanical bull somewhere to play with.

Apr 26, 2017 9:28pm
dane
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 51 min ago
Joined: Dec 29, 2012

Douche.  You're a Houston fan.  This is a CLippers board.  That's why most of us don't give a crap what you say.   Go find a mechanical bull somewhere to play with.

Apr 26, 2017 10:00pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 2 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

ClipperSisyphus wrote:

Didn't we beat the Jazz 3 times out of 4 during the regular season? Didn't their best player miss the first 3 games? Didn't we have home court advantage?

I don't know why we didn't crush the Jazz right from the get go.

Instead JJ and Jamal disappeared, the bench didn't step up and Joe Johnson turned in to a star. I put the blame for this on Doc. At least since the HOU series, this team has not had the killer instinct or belief in themselves to get tough in pressure situations.

The game 1 loss was really the killer. We had a full strength team against Utah without Gobert on our home court and we lost. There was no excuse for that loss whatsoever, the team just did not come to play aside from CP. Blake, JJ and Crawford were especially bad, but Blake is a max player who did not come to play, so he should get most of the blame for that loss. Then he got hurt AGAIN, screwing us up even more. I put most of the blame on Blake if we lose this series and give most of the credit to CP if we come back and win it.